In the pursuit of making this blog more eclectic, I wanted to update you on a simple recipe for vegetarian Frittata. I saw the recipe in a magazine and decided one night to give it a shot. Came out pretty good, though the bottom burned a little as part of the frying part. It could be I needed to add more oil to the pan or maybe I let it cook a little too long. But it was clear that it was burning.
Otherwise, tasty and simple. Takes about 45 minutes to make and fed me for a few days. Let me know how it comes out. There are other recipes, and in hindsight I might replace the potatoes with green peppers or asparagus instead.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
8 large eggs
1/2 Large onion chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded, diced
1 tbs fresh rosemary,
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Whisk 8 eggs in bowl until complete beaten and frothy (1 minute)
- Steam the potato, then slice into thin strips and add to whisked eggs (note instructions below on how to steam a potato in the microwave)
- Dice onions into small pieces
- Cut tomato in half, remove seeds, dice. Set aside to use as topping later.
- Remove rosemary needles from branch and chop into texture like fine sand.
- Place oven-safe, non-stick pan on stove over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil. When heated, add chopped onions and rosemary. Saute until very soft, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow onions/rosemary to cool. Stir onions and rosemary into egg mixture. Add salt and pepper to eggs.
- Wipe pan clean, coat entire surface, including sides, with 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Place on stove over medium heat. Once olive oil is heated, pour egg mixture containing the potatoes and onions into the pan and allow to cook for 15 mins. You will see it set and begin to firm at the sides.
- Remove pan from stove and scatter chopped tomatoes over the top.
- Place the oven-safe pan in the oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm and cooked through. Can use Broil setting for short time near the end to brown the top.
- Remove from the oven, slide fritata out of pan and onto serving platter. Slides into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
*How to steam a potato
This is basically how to cook a potato in the microwave.
- Wash and peel potato, cut into large cubes.
- Place potato cubes in microwave deep dish.
- Fill with water until potatoes are covered.
- Add a tbsp of oil to prevent boiling.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes or until cooked.